Saturday, June 19, 2010

A minor CASE OF ALCOHOLISM…

Funny thing is, I’m writing this after downing a few shots of some cheap liquor. So if my thoughts seem slightly off the hook or off track, I DO NOT APOLOGISE.

Anyway, I was just wondering what alcoholism is, since few of my friends have accused me of being somewhat an addict to the poison…

As per conventional wisdom, an alcoholic/alcohol addict is a person who is totally dependent on liquor and would probably stop at nothing to get the liquor he craves. But if you scratch the surface you see a lost soul who is trying to drown his sorrows, at least temporarily. In other words, whether right or wrong, he/she has a reason to drink.

But what about the majority of consumers?

I’m just pondering over the fact that reality is, alcohol is all about moods. I mean, if you are happy, you drink; if you are sad, you drink. And the best part is that the quantities consumed rarely vary in proportion to your mood, which prompted you to drink in the first place. Simply put, the so called non-alcoholic is always guilty of drinking, most often than not, as a reflection of his/her mood.

I’m the first person to stand up and say, “drinking is great” but I have to ask, why has it come down to the fact that if you are going to “party” or simply hook up with your friends, alcohol is a prerequisite? Alcohol seems to be the driving factor in ensuring whether an occasion is a success or not (in many cases).

Does this mean that an entire generation comprises of slaves to alcohol but is turning a blind eye to that fact and just pointing fingers?

If you ask me, a person who drinks for a reason has to be on a higher pedestal than the majority who simply look for reasons to drink!

DISCLAIMER: Personally, I enjoy a good drink regardless of how I feel. I simply enjoy the buzz or drunken state that I get to, after a few (or many) “good shots” and I do know many who can relate but would never admit to this reality and point the finger at me accusing me of being “addicted”. But I love and cherish them nonetheless cos’ they do mean well.

4 comments:

  1. Hey......

    well I guess what you wrote was quite adequate to the modern trend of drinking.. I have friends who drink for everything, happy sad feeling weird feeling nostalgic... trust me they just need a reason to drink. At the same time too much is bad.. as long as you know your limits you should be fine. Gulping down 5 beers just coz you are nervous whether Ghana or Nigeria might lose the qualifying round at the World cup is a bit too exaggerated to the normal day of having a beer and relaxing.. so I guess at the end of the day it all depends upon you and what you drink for.... But I am for it..!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a perspective!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you dude. havin a drink is fun. but when it comes to the point where think your entire day ( or night, depending on what the case may be... ) will only be good if you consume copious amounts of alcohol, then i think it's just gone too far. i love having a beer with a few friends, i love the buzz i get.... but when it comes to point where it affects your relationship with other people.... your friends, family..... the people who care about you and want to see you get ahead in life, then you must realize you have a problem on your hands.

    I've seen a lot of lives and relationships ruined, not because of alcohol, but the abuse of it..... just like guns don't kill people. People kill people. If a person can learn self control, there are no limits to what they can do, or where they can go from there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. I could not have said it better dude...

    ReplyDelete